I installed a new(er) wiper switch in the Falcon van – it came with a wiper motor kit I bought from an ebay seller.
I tried a couple times to buy a NOS or new made wiper motor and spoiler alert, none are available. I was able to buy a replacement from an eBay seller and adapt to the the van. It was simple, really and it might be even easier with another (61-67 ford pickup?) motor assembly. I had to stack some flat washers between the mount and the motor to make it work, but it works just fine.
I’m making good progress. You saw in a previous post that the engine was in – it’s now running well.
I’ve ordered a new RH floor pan from an eBay seller to replace the old one as it resembles Swiss cheese more than a floor.
A little over a year ago, a friend died and his sister gave me his 1963 Ford Falcon Club Wagon van:
It’s in nice shape, bodywise…but it needed a LOT of love mechanically.
I had it hauled over to my sisters back yard for storage while I figured out what to do next. First thing I did was replace the fuel tank and sending unit – the old tank had a couple quarts of fuel that had oxidized and turned into a black, stinky, lumpy liquid. Fortunately, the tank was easy to find (expensive, though) on eBay and arrived fast.
I tried to start the (170 six cylinder) engine, and while it turned over, it wouldn’t start. I pulled the cylinder head and discovered a stuck intake valve caused by water in the intake, so I took the van to work and removed the engine and transmission. I pondered rebuilding the engine, but it was bored -0.040″ and I decided against it.
After much searching, I found a replacement engine in a local wrecking yard. I’ts a 200 CID engine out of a 1978 Ford Fairmont. I washed it off (it was FILTHY) and installed a new clutch, carb kit, water pump, and a Ford 3G alternator in place of the generator.
I’ve since got it running pretty well, and I’ve driven it a couple tanks of fuel to shake it down. I still need to connect the heater and get the windshield wipers to work, and install king pins and brakes all the way around.
Last Monday I took the dash apart on the Buick (1998 LeSabre) to remove the radio and to replace the instrument panel bulb for the seat belt light. I tried (and failed, so far) to figure out where the amplifier input solder pads were so I can install and auxillary input for the phone.
Today I removed the rest of the dash including the instrument cluster, drove over to the parts store, and bought 8 new bulbs – I figured that since I was in there, I’d replace them all. Naturally, when I got home, I counted 10 bulbs to change. Bother.
I explain the removal and reinstallation in the shaky phone video below.
The next step was to reinstall the instrument cluster and the transmission indicator cable. It was easier than I originally thought, and I posted the next video to serve as a guide for those who haven’t done it before – I couldn’t find a video on YouTube, so I made one. Again, with a cell phone, and shaky, but you can get the idea.
It’s really a pretty easy job.
I left the house around ten yesterday morning and drove out to a camping spot off Trapper’s Route Road.
In about a half hour, I had my Chameleon MPAS installed on the front bumper and was making contacts with people all over – Ontario, Alberta, Illinois, Texas, and others. I used my Yaesu 897D and an autotuner on 100 watts.
The MPAS is excellent – it breaks down into a small package and deploys quickly. Please check out the link, if you’d like – I’m a happy customer, I’m not paid to promote it.
The wind was HOWLING, so I spooled everything up and drove over to Bessamer Bend Interpretive site and spent the night there. I woke to snow as expected, but not enough to stick to the ground. I stopped at G-Ma’s cafe for breakfast and had the best corned beef hash I’ve ever had.
I guess that’s all I have to report